Designated as a Seattle Historic Landmark in 2016, the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Garfield Exchange building was originally built as a two-story structure in 1921 for use as a telephone switchboard operation facility. In 1929, a third floor was added with design accommodations for the addition of a fourth floor. Since its donation to the Seattle Public Library in 1976, it has served as a storage facility. The building’s brick and ornamental terra cotta façade, concrete floor structure, generous floor-to-floor heights, and vertically proportioned windows are particularly well suited for its transformation to a residential apartment community. This historic preservation and adaptive reuse project will restore the building’s exterior façade, seismically retrofit the structure and include all new building systems.